STANFORD, Calif. -- Jurgen Klinsmann tried to dance around the questions: Why take unproven youngsters to the World Cup and leave Landon Donovan home? A day after announcing his momentous decision to drop the most accomplished player in American mens soccer, the U.S. coach hinted at answers without ever saying specifically why Donovan was among the final seven cuts. "As a coach, you have to make a decision based on what you want to execute in Brazil, what you want to see, how do you want to build those components into the entire group. And then I felt -- we coaches felt -- the guys that we chose, theyre a little step ahead of Landon in certain areas," Klinsmann said Friday. The 32-year-old Donovan, the American record holder with 57 international goals and second with 156 appearances, was trying to make his fourth World Cup roster. He is scoreless in seven games with the Los Angeles Galaxy this season, and Klinsmann dropped him from the roster for the first half of 2013 after Donovan took a four-month sabbatical. Asked for specifics, Klinsmann said Donovan "maybe is not the one now anymore to go one against one all the time or going into the box or finishing off." But the coach praised "his outstanding passing game, his experience, which is a big factor always." "He changed his game over the last few years, which is normal at that stage of his career," Klinsmann said. Donovan has five World Cup goals, including a stoppage-time score against Algeria four years ago that advanced the Americans to the second round. "We all have an incredible amount of respect and appreciation and admiration for everything that Landon has done for this team and for soccer in this country," said Toronto FCs Michael Bradley. "To see him walk out the door yesterday, to see six other guys walk out the door yesterday, is not easy." Klinsmann said Donovan took the decision Thursday "with an amazing composure." "Obviously, big disappointment. That is expected, and he said that, he doesnt kind of understand it," Klinsmann said. "He thinks he should have been in the 23." Donovan was scheduled to discuss the decision Saturday after training with the Galaxy. "Just sad for all the guys who got cut and what comes with it," U.S. captain Clint Dempsey said. "You bring in 30 players who have a lot of quality and it makes difficult decisions for the coaches to make." Klinsmann said he hopes Donovan remains in the player pool in the future: The Americans have the CONCACAF Gold Cup next year and the Copa America in 2016, when qualifying for the next World Cup also starts. Donovan also could return for the World Cup if there is an injury to one of the players selected for the roster. "How this new cycle will start after Brazil obviously depends a lot on the outcome in Brazil," Klinsmann said, "but the vision is, absolutely, that Landon continues his national team career." A World Cup champion with West Germany and European champion with Germany, Klinsmann was hired in July 2011. Less than a week after the Americans were drawn in December into a difficult World Cup group with Ghana, Portugal and Germany, the U.S. Soccer Federation announced Klinsmanns contract had been extended through 2018. He maintained the new deal didnt make him think more toward the future when making his picks. "This is based on today. This is based on what hopefully goes well the next seven, eight weeks, so that had nothing to do with my contract or with the perspective that those young players have for the longer run," he said. His roster includes 18-year-old winger Julian Green, who made his national team debut last month and has just six minutes of first-team experience with Bayern Munich; 21-year-old central defender Anthony Brooks, who has three international appearances; and 20-year-old right back DeAndre Yedlin, whose only national team appearances were as a second-half substitute this year. "Some have a learning curve ahead of them, theres no doubt about it," Klinsmann said. "But they are ready for that learning curve, and they might surprise some people out there." Since returning to the World Cup in 1990 after a 40-year absence, the U.S. has alternated first-round elimination with advancement. The Americans open against Ghana, which knocked them out in the group stage in 2006 and the second round last time. "As of today Im very strongly convinced this is the right way to go for it," Klinsmann said. "Now time will tell. If Im not getting the job done at the end of the day, you know the outcome of things in the soccer world." Adidas NMD Mens Black and White . - Kevin Labanc and Joseph Blandisi were a potent combination for the Barrie Colts on Friday night. Adidas NMD Wholesale China .com) - Colorado may be ahead of the Vancouver Canucks in the Western Conference standings, but they are a club that the Avalanche may want to avoid in the playoffs. http://www.cheapnmdonline.com/adidas-nmd...34-women-s.html. Now the Minnesota Vikings have set their sights on soccer. Pharrell NMD Hu China . And I wanted to take this opportunity to share some of my experiences gained through International competition and the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan. Seven NHL referees and six linesmen will be assigned upcoming games in Sochi by the IIHF as part of their 28-man officiating roster comprised of 14 refs and 14 linesmen. Pharrell x adidas NMD Human Race Black . Heck, we might just miss the BCS. Maybe? It sort of worked out this season. Top-ranked Florida State (13-0) was the only team to get through the regular season unbeaten, and the Seminoles did it in dominating fashion.ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The last time the Toronto Blue Jays won a series at Tropicana Field was back in 2007 and Dioner Navarro was the catcher for the losing Tampa Bay Rays. Now he helped the Blue Jays clinch their first series victory since then, homering for the second straight game as Toronto won 7-4 on Wednesday night. "Better later than never, right?" Navarro said after spotting the Blue Jays an early 2-0 lead with a two-run homer off Chris Archer. They went to win their fourth straight game. By winning the first two games of the three-game series, the Blue Jays clinched their first series victory at Tropicana Field since April 6-8, 2007, breaking a string of 21 straight non-winning series here. They had lost 17 consecutive road series against the Rays (including one in Orlando) before splitting a four-game series on May 6-9, 2013. "For one series we were able to get the monkey off our back," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons. "Now weve got to get greedy and go out and win that one tomorrow, come up with a great series." Edwin Encarnacion also homered for Toronto, and Adam Lind had four straight hits and scored twice. Encarnacions 29th homer completed a three-run run fifth inning off Archer (8-8) that gave Toronto a 6-0 lead. Marcus Stroman pitched five shutout innings before giving up two runs on four hits in the sixth. Stroman (9-5) gave up seven hits and two runs in six innings, winning his second straight start. "Were starting to put it together," he said. "The offence and the confidence have been there all year. Its just starting to finally click, I feel. Aaron Saanchez pitched the ninth for his second save.dddddddddddd Archer (8-8) gave up six runs in six innings and yielded 10 hits for the second straight time. "My job is to get people out and I didnt do a good job of that, didnt execute the pitches," he said. "Both (homers) I had two strikes on. Didnt execute, period." Evan Longoria drove in Tampa Bays first run with a two-out single in the sixth, then hit his 18th home run off Dustin McGowan in the eighth. TRAINERS ROOM Blue Jays: Encarnacion was the DH for the second straight game due to minor back discomfort. . . . RHP R.A. Dickey, Tuesday nights winning pitcher, was hit in the head by a line drive during batting practice. The Jays said he is not injured. Rays: CF Desmond Jennings (bruised left knee) was out of the lineup for the sixth consecutive games and could miss a few more games. ... LHP Matt Moore, coming back from elbow ligament replacement surgery in April, could play catch for the first time next week. ON DECK Rays RHP Jake Odorizzi (10-11) and Blue Jays LHP Mark Buehrle (11-9) are the scheduled starters in the finale of a three-game series Thursday night. Odorizzi is coming off a 7-0 win over Boston Saturday in which he allowed one hit in seven innings. DELAYS OF GAME The game was held up for 30 minutes during the third inning when lightning struck a nearby power station, knocking out a bank of lights. There was a delay of 3 minutes, 21 seconds when an umpire review confirmed Encarnacions home run, and another delay if 1:24 when a replay challenge gave the Rays James Loney an RBI single after he had been called out. ' ' '